Development & Outreach Manager
The City of Houston first issued a bike share RFP in 2011 and selected BCycle as the bike share system for Houston. At that time Houston Bike Share was formed to operate, grow and maintain the Houston BCycle program. Since then the system has grown from 3 stations and 18 bikes to a planned expansion of over 100 stations and nearly 1,000 bikes by 2020. Funding for HBS has come from federal grants and private sponsorships. Over 80% of operating costs are covered by revenue from riders.
Houston Bike Share is seeking a Development and Outreach Manager with 2-3 years of professional experience in fundraising and grant writing, with an interest in community outreach or public relations. The Development and Outreach Manager will report to the Executive Director and assist in driving the continued growth of bike sharing in Houston. This role will focus on fundraising, capital campaigns and grant writing. He/she will support the development and help execute a comprehensive plan including broad-based fundraising from individuals, corporations and foundations. He/she will help build strategic relationships with the community and conduct a variety of outreach efforts to further integrate bike share into Houston communities. He/she may also support marketing and communications initiatives.
Now is an especially pivotal time for Houston Bike Share, who is halfway through an expansion that is tripling the size of the Houston BCycle network and also launching an RFI to collect information from new bike share related entities as we work with the City of Houston to consider advancing bike share beyond the existing BCycle program.
Serious candidates should have a basic understanding of public and private fund development. Additionally, candidates should be passionate about cycling, and familiar with bike sharing and the Houston BCycle program.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Fundraising and Development
- With input from the Executive Director, develop and execute a cost-effective and broad-based fundraising program to secure general operating support and expansion funding from individuals, corporations, foundations and organizations.
- Work with HBS Board and Staff to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward current and prospective donors and corporate sponsors.
- Manage current grant funders, conduct prospect research and outreach to identify and engage with potential grant funders.
- Draft and submit grant proposals for operational support and program expansion funding.
Community Outreach & Public Relations
- Help build strategic relationships and partnerships to further integrate bike share into the fabric of Houston and reach new communities.
- Create and implement cost-effective events and initiatives that promote Houston Bike Share and the Houston BCycle program.
- Attend community meetings and events, and serve as spokesperson for Houston Bike Share, as requested by ED.
- Assist Executive Director and Director of Operations with strategic planning for growth of bike sharing in Houston.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of programming that will increase ridership, usage and visibility.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Fundraising and grant writing experience required
- Strong writer
- Articulate and willing to serve as a public figure for the organization
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
Please send cover letters and resumes to Houston Bike Share’s Executive Director, Beth Martin at email@example.com.